It can't be emphasized enough how nature is especially important during the formative years in a child's life for healthy development mentally, physically and emotionally (Please see why connect to nature). Introducing students to the forests of BC during the early years promotes an affinity to and love of nature along with a positive environmental ethic.
The forests of BC provide an excellent landscape to develop a child's powers of observations, curiosity, creativity and imagination.
The Forest Elves program provides an introduction to the many wonders in our local forests from the bugs and the plants to the smells and sounds. Using fun games, activities and sensory exploration, students leave engaged and inspired!
Age/Grades: Pre-school - Grade 2
Location: Available to Delta and New Westminster Schools
Duration: 1-2 hours (depending on age group - please see pricing info below for details)
Below are some big ideas and curriculum competencies that will be addresssed. You may contact us for a more detailed list for your grade if desired.
- Plants and animals have observable features (K)
- Living things have features and behaviours that help them survive in their environment (Gr. 1)
- Living things have life cycles adapted to their environment (Gr. 2)
CURRICULUM COMPETENCIES (Pre-school - Grade 2):
- Demonstrate curiosity and a sense of wonder about the world
- Experience and interpret the local environment
- Make exploratory observations using their senses
- Recognize First Peoples stories (including oral and written narratives), songs and art, as ways to share knowledge.
- Identify simple patterns and connections
- Share observations and ideas orally
- Express and reflect on personal experiences of place